The Veterans Memorial Medical Center was established pursuant to Public Law 865, 80th U.S. Congress in July 8, 1948 which provided $9.4 million for the construction of a hospital facility with the land to be donated by the Philippine government. The law was implemented in the country by an agreement between the U.S. and the Philippines signed by then Pres. Elpidio Quirino and the U.S. Ambassador to the Philippines Myron Cowen. Various amendments have been introduced and the latest is Republic Act 6948 which has liberalized the definition of veterans which now included the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) retirees. Likewise, the hospitalization benefit was extended to the veteran dependents. It is one of three units under the Philippine Veterans Affairs Office (PVAO). PVAO is a bureau under the Department of National Defense. The other two units under PVAO are the PVAO Proper, and Military Shrines Service.
The 55 hectares (140 acres) land was originally intended to be location of the new Malacanan Palace on the original masterplan of Quezon City in 1939. It is now being eyed to be privatized as part of the Quezon City Central Business District Redevelopment Plan or Triangle Park.